Button down and double cuffs

I think one of the greatest things I've learned since I began my journey into higher style a few years ago is to to never say never. Rules exist to keep you from doing foolish things... bend them ever so slightly and you'll make an impression.

I've seen many say that a chest pocket shouldn't be paired with double cuffs (a.k.a. French cuffs), double cuffs shouldn't be paired with a button down collar, and a button down collar shouldn't be paired with a double breasted.


I'm not a leading expert on clothing or style, but it says something when one of the best dressed men of the 20th century threw caution to the wind and ignored at least a couple of those rules. I have no idea whether or not those shirts (which he must have had custom made) had a pocket, but his "tennis" collars did not from what I've seen.

The style below (currently being sold by Brooks Brothers Black Fleece) is pretty attractive to me. Nix the contrast collar and cuff look, have it in solid white oxford, and it would be perfect. Oh, and it has side pleats in the back. How's that for mixing casual with formal? I don't see the problem in this age where even Savile Row tailors are wearing double cuffs casually without a tie.

[Pic deleted at BB website. -Jovan]


The photo below shows some more of what Mr. Grant got away with. Others have disagreed with me, but I think the highly polished loafers look fine with the dinner jacket. They're probably black, so his look follows the traditional colour scheme of evening wear while being different from the patent leather balmorals or opera pumps everyone else wears. He adds to the nonchalantness of it by puffing a white pocket square in his breast pocket rather than folding it into a square. I'm sure you see what I'm getting at about grounding oneself with certain traditions, yet bending them ever so slightly to one's advantage.


In other news (God, that's so clichéd), I still haven't received my ties yet. I'm getting antsy.

Comments

Popular Posts