Narrow ties... dying out again so soon?

Alternate title: "OMG HE'S BACK AND NOT SPEAKING THAT LEFT WING POLITICAL RUBBISH EITHER!!!" But, back on course now, Mr. Sulu... Apparently the wide 4" tie is coming back in vogue thanks again to Ralph Lauren. Honestly, I don't care. I'll keep wearing narrow ties when I please. I seem to keep on finding them in thrift stores now. I'll post a few pictures of my vintage ones soon. :) I wouldn't mind so much if they made them like they were made back in the '30s and '40s. Apparently not, from what I've seen. The knots are much too big -- even bigger than the ones Cary Grant draped around his neck. (I can't remember where I read this, but an article from way back when considered THOSE knots wide. Today they'd be considered under normal size.) I suppose wide knots can look good, however. If anyone had it perfected, it was our menswear innovator Duke Edward of Windsor. Something about the softness of the thicker lining and the way the tie was cut gave them their distinctive tubular shape. Something close to that can be achieved with the "Prince Albert" knot when I tried it out on a modern 3.75" tie I have. It's a variation on the four in hand knot where you wrap the wide end around a second time. I might try it out in public and see how comfortable I am with it. If there's anything I've found whilst developing my personal style, it's never say never. I'm still pretty opposed to modern ties with a Windsor knot, however, especially if worn by small guys. It draws too much attention to their tie and not their smile. If anything, I think a tie and collar should neatly frame your face, not draw too much attention to themselves. (Whoever I learned this from, THANK YOU!) That is also why I'm not a fan of the hugely spread collar. Back on the topic of narrow ties: If I had the money (currently rather tight on finances), I'd go to this maker and have a few JFK-esque simple stripe narrow ties made with a thin interlining like they had in the '60s. The Irish poplin stripes look especially enticing. Photobucket Apologies for more of my liberal crap... JFK is one of my favourite presidents but I also happen to be a big fan of the way he dressed! Both he and the character James Bond dress well, but not to stand out. Beau Brummel said it best, "If people turn to look at you in the street, you are not well dressed, but either too stiff, too tight, or too fashionable." Then again a lot of people WILL turn to look at you in the street if you wear a suit nowadays. I wonder what he would say about that were he still alive now.

Comments

Popular Posts