Review: Boardroom Socks -- Merino Wool Over the Calf

Boardroom Socks appeared in my search for Merino wool over the calf socks recently and I decided to take a look at their website. They're a family-owned company whose history spans 175 years, still "Knit in the USA" after all this time. It's the tagline, after all. Boardroom Socks was formed in 2010 in order to give customers direct access to what they make in North Carolina and a fair price for it. On top of that, they have a pretty decent selection of colours and patterns that isn't seen too often in Merino wool over the calf.

Note how the dotted socks are a bit shorter.

I reached out to Nathan James, President of Boardroom Socks, to ask about just how they were able to offer such good value, and made in the USA at that. He told me that the secret was their long-lasting relationships with suppliers, which give them the ability to provide cotton and wool socks to the public at an affordable price even as yarn prices for both have gone up in the last few years.

These snazzy little information and care instruction cards come with each pair of socks.

After telling him my fabric and size preferences, Nathan was kind enough to send a few pairs of Merino Wool Over the Calf in two different solid colours and one pattern for me to evaluate. They go for just under $15 a pair for solids, patterns $18. I appreciated the minimal packaging used, just a clear plastic bag, a card of information, and a sheet of tissue between the socks inside a flexible plastic shipping sleeve. There were no large, wasteful shipping boxes with a lot of fancy nonsense thrown in. At times, with all the inner boxes, outer boxes, excessive tissue paper, and other bits and baubles your internet purchases might remind you of this scene between Alan Rickman (may he rest in peace) and Rowan Atkinson.


Over the period of the next month and half, I wore, wash, and wore them again. As I tend to do now, I experimented with both tumble drying and hang drying. The results seemed about even. Oddly, there was noticeable shrinkage in length on the charcoal with pink dots. I noticed no significant length difference on the solid ribbed knits in charcoal and black, but those who wish their socks to last longer may want to hang dry them anyway. I also prefer to use cool water since it's easier on fine fabrics (and more eco-friendly) rather than warm as indicated in the care instructions, but your mileage may vary. Boardroom Socks does not necessarily endorse my own washing instructions, so please don't take them as gospel. (Or blame me if something goes wrong.)

The socks, being 67% Merino wool, 30% nylon, and 3% Spandex are quite comfortable like my other socks of similar composition. However, those other socks cost nearly twice what these do. The ribbed socks in charcoal and black seemed to have the best fit. That is not to say that the flat knit charcoal with pink dots is bad. They just feel a bit looser below the calf for some reason, in addition to the somewhat shorter length after washing and drying. I'm not certain if the type of knit has an impact on those aspects.

The logo is just barely holding on after several washes! But who's looking at the bottom of your socks anyway?

All three pairs of socks have performed well over the month and change I've had them and there are no serious complaints from me. They do not wear out too fast or feel scratchy at all. As with most over the calf socks, they stay up all day and require no fussing. If I were to nitpick anything besides the shrinkage on the aforementioned pattern, it's that the black ribbed knit socks -- or maybe just the ones I received -- have somewhat rough-looking edges at the top elastic. The charcoal did not. Unless you wear skirts, kilts, or schoolboy shorts this isn't really going to be an issue. Even if you do (no judgement here), I doubt anyone would notice or care. Now if you're still a cotton or mid calf sock purist, they carry them in spades and I doubt you'd be disappointed based on my experience with these. However, I have not tried either of those varieties yet. I will add a new review if I do.

Rough-looking ribbed top. Is it just me?

Boardroom Socks is a pretty gosh dang good value and a fine way to build up your sock rotation. I'd really like to see them add argyles into their collection at some point. In spite of their conservative-sounding name, I think one will find something they like even if they're not required to wear tailored clothing and dress shoes, but want to.

Nouveau Vintage was provided product free of charge in exchange for a review. Every consideration, including full retail price versus quality and origin, has been made for the sake of fairness.

Comments

  1. Oh man I love your plain toe oxford shoes, the most elegant of the oxford family and the only shoe you can wear with a suit or tuxedo without been made of patent leather. Too bad they are so hard to find RTW nowadays. Can you tell me please what brand are they? Thanks for the article I will try the socks.

    Billy Eton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Billy! Boardroom Socks are a good value and I think you'll be pleased as punch with them.

      The shoes pictured are the Allen Edmonds "Carlyle". They're nice, but not quite as nice as other shoes I've seen and worn with a more European influence. I would also recommend Beckett Simonon (which I reviewed on this blog), as they have a plain toe oxford that looks quite elegant. Kent Wang also makes a very good plain toe oxford.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts